Saturday, June 28, 2008

One Tin Soldier Rides Away

I am set to leave Monday, June 30th and am filled with anxious excitement. I am sure the long air flights will help to alleviate some of the adrenalin spikes. I fly from Detroit to Amsterdam where I will have a 5 hour lay-over. To all my former high school friends this does not mean what it seems to mean. I then leave for my second leg of my journey to Kilimanjaro, Tanzania.
I have purchased my emergency evacuation insurance; I bought this on-line since my insurance agent doesn’t sell it. I also, upon my agent’s suggestion suspended my insurance on my vehicles for the month that I will be gone. (I didn’t even know you could do that) This will save me a little money while I am away.
I have my deet, wet wipes, tooth brush, self generating flashlight, camera, and sunscreen. I think that is all I need. I also am taking quite a bit of hikers’ food (apparently they eat a lot of porridge type meals)
My friend John is working on a solar panel for generating electricity for the XO laptop which I may take with me to see how it works. This is very exciting technology with crazy potential.
I have made copies of all my documents for my family with the addresses and phone numbers of the contact people at the school.
Next stop……Africa.

10 comments:

Zack said...

So how do I know when to get my lava lamp I mean good luck on your trip.

Zack Hawks

Unknown said...

I mean, I wasn't one of your "high school friends" but it seems to me if you're trying to deal with the adrenaline spikes and you're in Amsterdam... theres really only one think you really can do!

-Keeton

chilefirst said...

Feliz viaje querida amiga..!!
I tried to call you before 4pm today but your phone was off already..
I just wanted to tell you what I just said above in Spanish..
Be safe..
I will miss you much..
love u
Angela

Anonymous said...

It's 10:53 pm as I write. You are somewhere between the airport and Meru Peak. Thinking of you tonight and will every day. A dream lasts a lifetime. So excited you are able to grab that brass ring.
Hope the solar panel works. It will be a charge..pun intended. Will you be able to play Salsa Music on the little computer?

Lv ya. N

pamland said...

Okay, the question on everyone's mind, well at least mine and maybe some others as well. How old is the child you are bringing home. Hey, inquiring minds want to know. We all know and love you, Angelina, I mean Kelly. I hope you are having a great time and using your sunscreen religiously. We miss you and I already took the lava lamp. The rest of the stuff we sold at the yard sale. Oops! I wasn't supposed to tell you about that. Love ya.

Angela said...

Hi there..!!
Are you alive..? Been checking your blog.. and ..zip..! Are you really bringing a child??? :o)
Angela

Angela said...

Oops..
Cut is short..
We miss you..! You'll be missing the second riverboat salsa party on June 19th.
Luv u girl.. Can't wait to see ya..

Jim Pierce said...

I too am anxiously following your journey, and I am working on hitting the lottery so I can send you lots of money to multiply your work. :> )

Pam knows you as well as anyone and her Angelina Jolie analogy resonated with me. :> ) You are touching and healing so many more than you even realize...and the impact will continue on eternally. I am sending you lots of love and protection. Godspeed!

Anonymous said...

Kelly come home!

The Africa News says gold rush 100 miles west of you in Yaeda! Locals not happy!

Love N

Anonymous said...

Here is the whole story and more on Tanzania news.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200807141080.html