Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Panther in Africa

Being a math teacher I actually enjoy probabilities. So, when I sat down to try and calculate the odds of:
1. going to Africa
2. picking Tanzania at random
3. finding Meru Peak Schools on the internet out of the thousands listed
4. discovering within amile of the school is a community center ran by an ex-black panther and his wife from Kansas City living in political exhile.
Ok, I know those of you who know me are thinking of course you would pick this place because that is karma and a black panther and Kelly Kitchen go hand in hand.
Well as it turns out you are right. Whatever power brought me here the probabilities are astronomical and therefore i have to leave it to energy outside my understanding.

Mama C (Charlotte) and Pete O'Neil have lived in Tanzania for about 30 years because Pete fled the US when he was charged with a crime he did not committ and knew he would be convicted, because of his work in the black panther movement, and later was convicted in abstentia. They have built a community center on the mountain brick by brick where they have teachers that teach English classes to the locals for free. They also teach computers, art, guiding (on safaris), dance and music classes (they have their own studio and produce CD's) all for free to the locals. They are supported by groups of students coming from the states and Europe that arrange for African immersion experiences. There was a group of University of Michigan students here for a such an experience while I was here.

Pete (still an imposing figure at 68 with dread locks down his back)and Mama C's(an angel to everyone that meets her and a spirtual presence that rmeinds me of a shamen) compound is a haven equipped with internet (it is what I use to type my blog) classrooms, dorms for the visitors, a wounderful staff of volunteer teachers and a basketball court.
I teach two English classes a day and play basketball with the locals every chance I get. Some of the girls are developing a nice jump shot and the boys are beginning to understand what a proper lay-up is. It is amazing coaching a foreign sport to someone that doesn't speak the same langauge as yourself I have learned so much from these young people, mostly humility.
cC
The students I have at UAACC (United African Alliance Community Center) are mostly adults. Some are housewives, some farmers, some are preachers and some are young people looking for a way not to end up in the streets. They are all open-hearted very attentie students who love have an American teach them anything. They clap spontaneously in the middle of a lesson when they feel they really grasp what I am teaching. It is amazing. They also tell me after every class that they love me and are so happy that I share "The English" with them. Africa sees English as the language of the future.
They work so hard trying to expand their vocabularies and trying to figure out subject verb agreement as well as those pesky irregular verbs. I never appreciated English as my natie langage before, but I do now.
Their hard work and loving nature brings tears to my eyes frequently. I have been humbled by this country and the people in it.
The students are many at UAACC and they come everyday. Some are fed lunch and are expected to work hard at their studies. They are so thankful to Pete and Mama C for providing this opportunity for them. Their lives are enhanced daily just for participating in UAACC and the family that is there.
The teachers are all volunteers and many of them are students at the University of Arusha, up the mountain further, and live in the area. Many teach during their breaks from school. I am the only native English speaker here currently and all the teachers love to talk to me to practice English and work on their pronounciation.
UAACC also teaches art and music classesand they have a pretty cool music studio. The sales of their music goes to the students that create them.
The art gallery is equally as impressive their batiks, purses,jewelry, and clothing is beautiful.
Pete and Charlotte have made a have in the middle of abject poverty, and the share their love of people and community builidng with those around them.
One of Pete's friends, Geronimo Pratt is also here. He was convicted of a crime he did not commit and spent close to 30 years in prison for it. His conviction was overturned and the government had to write him a check. He brouhgt that money to Tazania and is now living his life with his lovely wife in the mountains of Tz. He was instrumental in helping Pete put in a deep well where people in the area can get clean drinking water without flouride (a huge problem here)
I hope I get to take a dance class and drum class before I leave.
Pete retains his Black Panther attitude and his angst is refreshing. It is that tenacity that got everything accomplished that he has here and his growl makes me smile because his heart is pure gold. They are opening an orphanage (living center) soon. I hope to continue to support their efforts in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very heartwarming and compelling Kelly. I am moved nearly to tears as i imagine the journey you are living, and listen to your words describing the people there in Tz.May the good Lord bless you and those you meet, keep up the good work and enjoy.
Peace and Joy,
Tom K.

Anonymous said...

Kelly,

I get goose bumps every time I login and read your blogs. I hope you are doing o.k. and aren't too home sick. I bet the kids are anxious for you to arrive home. Have a safe journey and I will see you on the 27th.

Melissa