Saturday, March 29, 2008

Nothing but Net.

During March Madness as I was watching my team (Michigan State University) get drilled, I also was responding to an email from the Olyset Company regarding their mosquito nets. They were very helpful in directing me to the proper vendor for purchasing these nets. I initially tried to buy a mosquito net here in the US and the only ones I could find were the polyester ones that you had to spray the insecticide on yourself. The ranged from $20.00 to $45.00. Apparently the nets that have insecticide put into them during the manufacturing process are hard to get a hold of in the US. I read one site that said the FDA has not approved them for sale here, but I could not verify that. The Olyset company asked where I would be traveling and the route I would be taking and I gave them a brief itinerary and they sent me back an email address of a retailer in Arusha, Tanzania. They also forwarded my email to them. I heard from Divyesh Ramanandi in Arusha within a couple of days asking how he could help me. I told him when I would be in Tanzania, kinda/sorta dates and I was looking for a mosquito net. He sent me their sizes and price list and when I did the Tanzania shilling conversion to American dollars these state of the art nets would cost me about $8.00. It pays to shop around. This will work out better buying the nets in Tanzania because they do take up some space in the luggage and when I leave I can just leave it with the school. The best part is that I am also helping the local economy by buying the net there. That is a win-win.
Here are the websites for Olyset Company:

http://www.sumivector.com/content/view/18/37/

A new Olyset joint venture in Arusha opens in 2008
http://www.olysetphotos.com/Documents/Arusha_Pressrelease.pdf

Here is another way to help, ironically by the same name of what inspired this page in my blog.
http://www.nothingbutnets.net/


It is very exciting to use new technology that is being made in Tanzania by Tanzanians for the betterment of their country. Now I have to decide, how many nets do I buy? MSU could have used a few extra nets tonight.
Peace.

No comments: